News & Commentary
Join the Foundation, our grantees, and leading experts for commentary and the latest news on the education and training of health professionals.
Call for Applications: Macy Faculty Scholars Program
New York, NY
We are pleased to invite applications for the 2012 class of the Macy Faculty Scholars.
Now in its second year, the Macy Faculty Scholars program is designed to nurture the careers of educational innovators in medicine and nursing and develop the next generation of national leaders in health professions education.
The program seeks to accelerate the Scholars’ careers by selecting early to mid-career faculty that have shown great promise and providing them with protected time to pursue mentored educational reform projects at his or her home institution. Up to five faculty leaders are selected each year. Each receives salary support at $100,000 per year over two years and is provided with opportunities for further career development through mentoring and access to a national advisory committee.
Areas of possible innovations in health professions education that the Macy Faculty Scholars might explore include:
- Inter-professional education to promote teamwork and collaboration.
- New models of clinical education that emphasize longitudinal, integrated experiences with patients, family, and faculty.
- New content in health professional curricula, such as quality improvement, patient safety, systems analysis, health economics, and the social determinants of health.
- Education of health professionals to care for underserved populations, including addressing the need for more primary care providers.
- Programs to diversify the health professional workforce across many dimensions so that it more closely matches the populations to be served.
Over the next decade, it is envisioned that the Macy Faculty Scholars will become the drivers for change in health professions education. The goal of this change will be to create an educational system that better meets the health needs of the public.
For more information about the selection criteria and process as well as instructions on how to apply to the program read our brochure [PDF]. Deadline for applications is March 7, 2012.
To learn about the current Macy Faculty Scholars visit: http://www.macyfoundation.org/news/entry/2011-macy-faculty-scholars
Check back for details about the informational webinar on January 26, 2012.